Counseling for Immediate Postpartum LARC
Timing of Contraceptive Counseling
When is the best time to discuss postpartum contraception? They are all good times!
- Prenatal care – Optimally, counseling beings during this time
- Intrapartum – Reinforce themes from prenatal counseling
- Postpartum – Opportunity for more education
Research has shown that the prevalence of postpartum contraceptive use, including the use of more effective methods, was highest when contraceptive counseling was provided during both prenatal and postpartum time periods.
Citation: Zapata LB, Murtaza S, Whiteman MK, Jamieson DJ, Robbins CL, Marchbanks PA, et al. Contraceptive counseling and postpartum contraceptive use. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015;212:171.e1-8.
- ACOG FAQ #500: Using Long-Acting Reversible Contraception Right After Childbirth
- ACOG FAQ #194: Postpartum Birth Control
- ACOG FAQ #184: Long-Acting Reversible Contraception: Intrauterine Device and Implant
- ACOG FAQ #052: Postpartum Sterilization
- ACOG FAQ #024: Fertility Awareness-Based Methods of Family Planning
- ACOG FAQ #022: Barrier Methods of Birth Control: Spermicide, Condom, Sponge, Diaphragm, and Cervical Cap
Learn more about clinical considerations for providing LARC immediately postpartum